Geovative Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Support > GeoTour Web Application
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with creating walking tours off road

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with creating walking tours off road
    Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 2:04am
Hi

I am working with the free version (for now) of Geo Tours.

I would like to create a off road tour (i.e. a tour around my campus) so I have placed the markers on the maps however the the route follows the road! How can I get the route rather to go between the points?

If this is not possible how can I show directions to the next point?

Thanks
fastlane View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 9:58pm
Hi Kate,

I see someone named Kate signed up for a trial of the Plus plan the yesterday, so I'm guessing that was you. The Plus plan enables you to toggle the showing/hiding of routes on the Google map. So, when you're looking at your GeoTour from within your account, you can hover your mouse pointer over Tour Options and then click "Show/Hide Tour Route" to toggle the route line on/off on the Google Map display.

The route that the Geovative web site displays on the Google Map is not necessarily the route that the device will take because the device does its own routing. When operating the tour on a GPS device, the tourist may have to adjust some settings so that their GPS device doesn't guide them along roads. The most common download type on our website is Garmin. On some Garmins, the user can go to Settings -> Navigation -> Route Preference -> and select "Off Road". This will give them a straight-line path or at least a more direct route between points and won't make them stay on roads. Another thing that might help on a Garmin device is to go to Settings -> Navigation -> Vehicle and select "Pedestrian". On other Garmin models, the menus may be a bit different, but similar options can be found.

Another thing you can experiment with to adjust the path along which the tourist is directed, is to create intermediate points between your actual points of interest, so that the tourist is guided through those points and that way may follow a path closer or in line with what you intend for them to take.

If you have more questions, feel free to follow up here on the forum or email geovative(at)geovative(dot)com.

Thanks,
Lane
Girts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Girts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 4:07am
Hi! If you're using Garmin, you could take your device and walk your route. Just create new with your Garmin device. Name it, and add several points along your route. They will be named just "coordinates" by device. Sounds silly, but it is like that. Now you have good route. Next add more points into your route using Geotour. Basically that route you made by walking is like a basic template. Then transfer your new points to pc and device. Add more points to route you walked. At least I don't want to let my device create directions itself. It would be unnecessary surfing around besides ideal route I wanted myself.

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic