Geovative Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Support > GeoTour Mobile Applications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS without phone contract?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firesnake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS without phone contract?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 11:35am
Hi there, first of all I've got to say thanks for your service- I've spent 2 weeks solid trying to find this exact software so glad you popped up at the right time.

I'm in the process of putting together a solid set of tours in the UK using Google Earth, but have no real way of testing them as my SE C905 has GPS but is not Windows enabled.

I see I can pick up a UK based BT HTC S620 phone for a good price which has Windows Mobile 5.0 as standard.
My question is do I need to have a phone contract to be able to use the GPS facility as positioning counts as a data download, or will it work independently and without a SIM card?

Many thanks for such a useable site, I'll upgrade as soon as I have a device to check it all out on.
Ben.
Firesnake77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firesnake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 11:40am
....actually, not sure it does have GPS capability.
Any ideas on a cheap mobile/cell phone to test this out on?

Also I can't find the menu to download for iPod/MP3 from within My Tours, is it only on the eXchange part of the site?
geovative View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geovative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 7:26am
Firesnake77-
Thanks for the questions. I checked out the S620, and it does not appear to have internal GPS functionality. One option would be to purchase an external bluetooth GPS receiver and pair it to the phone. This should work without issue. To answer your other question, a phone/data plan is not needed for running GeoTours Mobile. Thus, you could even track down a non-phone PDA (they barely make them anymore) such as a Dell Axim that runs Windows Mobile 5/6 and purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver for it. This would likely be a less expensive way to go.

To download tours from My Tours, click the green arrow icon next to your tour's name. It will take you to the tour's download page where you can select from the appropriate download format. If your tour does not contain audio or images, the iPod/MP3 tour download will not appear.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic