Geovative Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - POI file (.gpi) not showing image or playing audio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

POI file (.gpi) not showing image or playing audio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POI file (.gpi) not showing image or playing audio
    Posted: 01 Mar 2008 at 2:37pm
Hi everyone:

I just bought a new nuvi 750 based on rave reviews and the supposed compatibility with TourGuide files.

I created a tour on this website and everything went well; I was able to import it into my unit, however my 750 does not show the image or play the audio file associated with the tour.

I downloaded someone else's tour and had the same results. I tried downloading in multiple ways:

1. Direct download of .gpi from this site via Garmin's Communicator plug in

2. Downloaded the .gpx file and related media files and tranferred to the  nuvi using POI Loader.

3.Direct copy of .gpi file from my hard drive to my nuvi's poi folder.

(Before each attempt at copying a new file into the unit, i made sure the poi folder was empy by deleting the file i had previously copied into the folder)

Nothing seems to work! Confused

I am very technically savvy and I would not have reached out for help if I didn't feel stumped and frustrated!!

About the media files...I read in some forum that the media files have to be tagged properly (D3 or something like that). Tagged where? I looked inside the GarminDevice.xml file and was able to see the folder structure where the operating system uses to access all files (maps, text, languages etc) and I did see the poi folder that i created (yes, i had to create it. it didn't have one out of the box). I didn't see a path that the operating system would use to access the media files...are they embedded in the .gpi file??

About POI Loader...it seems to only want a gpx file...what about the media files that go along with the tours I downloaded? How do they get into the gps unit? are they embedded into the gpx file also?

I haven't found anything about regarding these matters on any forums.

I am starting to think I have a defective unit and I am thinking of returning it (my unit It arrived Friday evening and I have been playing with it non-stop. Garmin's tech support is only available during business hours and I am too impatient to wait)

Can someone please help shed some light into these questions?

Thanks in advance!!

Spartacus
geovative View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geovative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 3:44pm
Spartacus,
When TourGuide files don't show up, it is usually a symptom of the tour having unrecognized characters within it.  However, if the same thing is happening on multiple tours, this shouldn't be the case.

You didn't mention if your problem is that the tour doesn't show up under Extras - Custom POIs, or if it simply does not play the audio when you pass by the location.  If it is the latter, find the TourGuide setting on the device and change it to 'AutoPlay'.  If you can't find this setting, let me know and I can provide further detail.  If your problem is that the tour doesn't show up in the Custom POIs category under "Where To?", then please give me the tours you are trying to download.  I have a nuvi 750 that I can test on to see if it is indeed your device.

Regarding the download method, using Garmin Communicator or copying the file to the Garmin/POI folder should be all you need to do.  When using POI Loader, the audio files must have the word "TourGuide" in their filenames and the GPX file must point to the directory that contains the media files OR the file itself.  However, our site handles all of this for you, so you should only have to download the files from our site, extract them to a directory, run POI Loader and point it to the folder, and that should do it. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic